PCMCIA network card alias configuration

Hello List,

I've recently reinstalled my laptop (Dell Latitude CPI A 366XT) and decided to
ditch slackware for a while and give debian a try. Must say, have been
mightely impressed sofar.

I've stumbled across a few problems I had, but managed to find my way out of
them sofar. This one, I haven't been able to tackle.

I have a twofold problem:

First part:
----------
I have a pcmcia network card (3com card using the 3c575_cs driver). It is
detected by the pcmcia packages and configured using /etc/network/interfaces,
in which eth0 is set up accordingly.

I also need an eth0:0 alias on eth0, having a different network address. It is
configured also in /etc/network/interfaces, but I cannot seem to convince the
pcmcia-utils to activate it aswell at bootup/activation.

Is there any way I can do this?

(whereami is not an option -> i need the two adresses at the same time.)

Second problem:
-------------------
I also dial out using ppp sometimes. Fact is, pppd doesn't like it when
there's a previously defined global gateway. So, is it possible to tell
ifup/ifdown to use a route in the style of
route add -net 10.216.0.0 -netmask 255.255.0.0 gw 10.216.0.1
instead of
route add gw 10.216.0.1 ?

The setup is:
--------------