Re: woody install on laptop

Thomas_Kroener@mail.sva-germany.com wrote:

Hi milti...

guten tag, thomas,  wie geht's??

On 14.11.2002 15:50 milti <milti@mac.com> wrote:

for the past couple of days, ive been trying
to do a floppy/network install of woody on my
sony picturebook (usb floppy/xircom netcard)
and have not been able to get past the rescue
disk:  the error that stands out is
   root fs not mounted
i had potato installed (via pcmcia cd drive) just
fine before and actually was able to do some perl
network programming before the upgrade bug
bit me, so i know debian works fine on my pc.  does
anyone have any ideas as to what i need to say
at the boot prompt??  id like to finally get my picturebook
installed with the minimal windows/full debian/full netbsd.
netbsd installed like a dream.  but id like to try woody
as well.  how to get past the rescue floppy??

The installation manual on debian.org in chapter 5.3 'Installing
from floppies' says:

Information on boot parameters which might be useful can
be found by pressing F4and F5. If you add any parameters
to the boot command line, be sure to type the boot method
(the default is linux) and a space before the first parameter
(e.g., linux floppy=thinkpad).

Might that be useful?

ciao Thomas

hmmm, i have read the function keys and no, nothing suggested there
worked or rather, what i saw suggested there didnt work.  what id like
to find out is, isnt the root fs during the install suppose to be the installed
memory??  and if so, how do i explicitly say that for the boot??  ive never
known this particular failure to happen during installation (and i have a
looooong history of linux install failure). thats probably not the only question
i should have, but its the only one im conscious of to articulate.

still in need,

milti