dhcp problem after recompiling kernel

[posted this on debian-user already but decided it'd probably fit better
on this list. :-)]

I just installed Woody onto a brand new laptop (Dell Latitude c610).
Used a little installation cd and fetched the rest from the Net
(including security updates).  Everything worked pretty good.

Had to get X-windows from unstable and compile the kernel to add a
couple of things:
- "Dell laptop support" (processor type and features)
- "Power Management support" and "Advanced Power Management BIOS
support" (general setup)
- "PCMCIA/Cardbus support", as module doesn't work but regular does
(PCMCIA/Cardbus support)

All worked fine except it somehow broke my DHCP setup.  Hence, DHCP
works with the regular distro kernel but not with my home-grown.
Ofcourse I tried compiling my network adapter both as module and
straight into the kernel, doesn't make a difference.  I have an eth0
device so that doesn't seem to be the problem.  Network stack seems
quite ok to me too (same options as on my regular desktop).

I'm running kernel 2.4.18 with dhclient as dhcp client.  Any suggestion
on what the problem might be?

Thanks in advance,

Auke

--