Laptop battery power

Could anybody give some advice on my battery situation. I own an ASUS A1 laptop and a while back I began having trouble with the APM system.

The first thing that happened was that my battery would only charge to 60% of maximum power. It was quite suddenly and exactly 60%. After that I have been having increasing problems with recharging and power supply. A lot of times the system seems to shut down quite suddenly and unprovoked, also battery life has decreased to about 30 minutes max, even when mostly idling.

Sometimes the battery wont charge when I plug in the power cable, if I remove it and plug it in again it starts charging for a while but then stops.

Do I need to replace the battery?

Is there something more seriously wrong with my system?

I was wondering if the switch inside the power plug is bend so that it does not detect that I plug in the power cord. It also seems if I jiggle the cord it will sometimes start to charge, however if I measure the voltage with a voltmeter and then jiggle the cable it doesn't appear as if there is a breakage in the cable itself.

So what to do? Hope this isn't too off topic.

Anders E. Andersen