XF4.1 on ATI Mobility Radeon 7500

Hi

I've installed Debian on half a dozen different machines, and configuring X
has always been the greatest pain. Currently, I'm trying to do this on a
Fujitsu Lifebook E-7110 laptop that has an ATI Mobility Radeon 7500 card
(32MB) and an LCD that can do up to 1400x1050 @ 60 Hz.

When I tried installing Mandrake 9.0 just for kicks, it configured X without
even asking me any questions (I should have probably saved its XF86Config-4
for reference, but I didn't). Now with Debian on the same machine instead, I
spent all night trying to get ANY graphics to work. WTF?

I tried
`dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86`,  `xf86cfg` and `xf86configure` basically
trying to select "ati" or "radeon" drivers, "PCI:1:0:0" as BusID (`lspci -vv`
says that the ATI card is at "01:00.0"), and I choose 1280x960 @ 60 Hz
resolution, among other things. The error that X gives me is "No devices
found".

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance
Oleg