Re: dpkg and kernel-2.4.18 installation

Joel <killerj@Toughguy.net> writes:
> Make-kpkg didn't return any error message.
> I tried /usr/src # dpkg --purge kernel-source-2.4.18 and get the
> folowing error message:
> dpkg -warning: igoring request to remove kernel-source-2.4.18 wich
> isn't installed
> RESULT=0
> It looks like the package has not been installed by make-kpkg.

Right, make-kpkg doesn't actually install the package, it just builds
it.  (This is useful if you want to build packages for a slower
machine on a faster one, for example.)  Run 'dpkg --install
../kernel-image-2.4.18_*.deb' from the kernel source tree as root.

...but then, this doesn't affect the kernel-source package; in
"normal" usage, you really aren't having kernel-package generate the
kernel-source package at all, since you either want to use a plain
tarball from kernel.org (or a mirror) or the normal Debian package.
What are you actually trying to do, what have you done so far, what
issues are you running into?

	-- Abra Mitchell