Re: 2.4 kernel tweaking

On Mon, Oct 14, 2002 at 09:03:41AM -0400, christophe barbe wrote:
[snip]

> > have crashes only when experimenting with the kernel, I think this is not
> > as bad as it might look at first glance. But, you know, no guarantees of
> > mine, your filesystem might become garbled, your hard disk might become
> > fried!
>
> In my opinion this is not a solution. First I am still not convinced
> that it is normal for ext3 to touch the disk when there is no other
> activity on the system. Then spinning the disk for 5 minutes seems very
> bad from the powersaving point of view and also from the life of the HD.

Hard drives sustain most of their wear and use most power on spinning up,
it makes sense for most systems (ie desktops/servers etc) to keep the disks
spinning all the time. In the majority of cases, then, it isn't a case
of 'spinning up' the disks at all. This is not the case on laptops, but
we are a minority case. Optimising the commit intervals has been
suggested on lkml, but is, apparently rather tricky.

--
/__
\_|\/