Re: 2.4 kernel tweaking

On Fri, Oct 11, 2002 at 10:08:51PM +0100, Karl E. Jorgensen wrote:
> > kjournald is there because of ext3. Could it be responsible for that?
>
> ext3 will write to the disk every 5 seconds or so. For me, that is what
> prevents the HD from spinning down. Under ext2 the noflushd should work
> nicely, but ext3 wants to write to its journal every so often...

I don't understand what has to be written to disk if there is no
activity. I will try to boot with ext2, but if the guilty is ext3, then
it would be a significant drawback of ext3. I am still convinced that
something is not right but if it is the way ext3 work (hd activity
without other activities) then I wil have a look at other journalized
fs.

> It shouldn't result in "a lot" of hd access - might just make the led
> flash for a fraction of a second (short enough to make me wonder whether
> I imagined it....).

Yes it is not a lot but it is enough to keep the HD awake and then limit
the battery autonomy.

> Mounting filesystems with "-o noatime" helps a little bit - but might
> cause problems for programs tat rely on atime on files (e.g. mail
> notifiers, popularity-contest and the like)

Yes. I have added the noatime option but without significant change.
Most app don't care about atime.

Christophe

> HTH
>
> --
> Karl E. J?rgensen
> karl@jorgensen.com
> www.karl.jorgensen.com
> ==== Today's fortune:
> i dont even know if it makes sense at all :) This is an experimental patch
> for an experimental kernel :))
> 	-- Ingo Molnar on linux-kernel

Imagination is more important than knowledge.
   Albert Einstein, On Science