Re: [ACPI] lid state?

Martijn wrote:

> On Mon, 07 Oct 2002, Derek Broughton wrote:
>
> > It's far from ideal, but it's robust enough, because the lid state bears
no
> > connection to acpid.  Whether or not acpid is running, events get
generated.
> > I suppose, conceivably, the lid could be closed when the system boots
and
> > ACPI starts - but how realistic is that?  I can't see it happening on my
> > system.
>
> It's very well possible to do that. And it breaks any on/off type script
> you set up for the lid button.
>
> I'd like separate open and close messages as well actually..

I know it's _possible_.  I just find it unlikely that I'll ever _need_ to go
through ACPI initialization with the lid closed.  So, I could certainly
screw things up, but I can _live_ with the existing state.

And Frank wrote:
> Very realistic if you have attached an external monitor to your notebook.

Well, You'd need the external keyboard, too :-).  I routinely plug my laptop
in to my client's network, then do my work on the client's machine with a
VNC connection to the laptop - so I am using the laptop with external
monitor & keyboard.  Even so, the only way I'm going to have a situation
where I boot with the lid closed is if I issue a 'reboot' from the VNC
console.  If it's shut right down, I still have to open the laptop to power
it up.  Only with an automatic reboot does this even become an issue.  So
for now, I have to ensure I don't do that...

I fully agree that we need events that just say it's open or closed, and I
don't understand why it was ever established as a counter.  I just don't
think it's death to your scripts that we have to use a counter right now.
--
derek