From: Jeff [mailto:jcoppock1@attbi.com]
Sent: Friday, 4 October 2002 3:59 PM
To: 'debian-laptop@lists.debian.org'
Subject: Re: backup

Thatcher Ulrich, 2002-Oct-04 00:50 -0400:
> On Oct 04, 2002 at 11:50 +1000, Joyce, Matthew wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > I am running woody v3 / 2.4.18 on an old tosh laptop.
> >
> > It is the only linux box I have at the moment, and I was wondering
> > how I should go about backup it up.
> >
> > I have heaps of diskspace on various win2k boxes, perhaps I could
> > tar what I want and ftp it.
> >
> > Is there some software which will backup specified folders only, and
> > some config files, some email and stuff like that.
> >
> > Any ideas ?
>
> I have a household firewall/server with a CD-R drive, and I use a
> combination of cdbackup and tar on the server to pull files from my
> laptop via ssh, and record backup CD's.  Unfortunately I'm away from
> home so I can't give you my scripts, but they're pretty simple, just a
> couple lines of shell commands to tar the directories I want, and feed
> them right into cdbackup.
>
> tar'ing your stuff and storing it on some other computer's hard drive
> works fine as well.  tar has plenty of options for selecting the dirs
> you want; excluding others, etc.  Just read the man page for ideas.

Here's a slick little script to tar and compress specified dirs:

<bof>
#!/bin/bash
SRCD="/home/jeff/Mail"
TGTD="/var/backups/"
OF=mail-$(date +%Y%m%d).tgz
tar -cvzf $TGTD$OF $SRCD
<eof>

This will tar and compress my Maildirs into a .tgz file and put it in
/var/backups.   Then I ftp or scp the file to another system or burn
it to CD.

Personally, I have several Debian systems, so I use rsync to keep copies of
certain directories on another system along with tar files from the script
above.  For the Windows systems, I backup to CD-RW and rotate 2 CD-RW
disc's.  I figure the odds of the 2 Debian systems failing at the same time
are pretty low, especially since one's at the office and another is at home.

jc

--
Jeff Coppock		Systems Engineer
Diggin' Debian		Admin and User