Re: installing on firewire HD

Thanx for the information, I'm almost sure that OS X and OS 9 boots from this disk. I'll just try to install debian and see what happens. :-)

axel

On Þriðjudagur, okt 1, 2002, at 01:35 Atlantic/Reykjavik, Daniel Pittman wrote:

On Mon, 30 Sep 2002, Axel wrote:
I was wondering if it's possible for me to install Debian linux on a
firewire hard disk (external)?

Sure is, at least on x86, so I can't imagine that it's that different on
the PPC...

I've got PowerBook G3 400 (pismo) and an ultra slim firewire disk. I
wasn't sure if Debian would boot from a disk like that.

...except for this. :)

On x86, booting from firewire or USB hard drives is under the control of
the BIOS. For your mac, that means the OpenFirmware. If you can boot
MacOS or OS-X from the firewire drive, you can *theoretically* boot
Linux from there too.

If you can't, booting from the drive is probably not an option. Even if
you can you need to find a boot loader that can talk to the drive which
is outside my expertise.

So, it's theoretically possible to boot linuk *if* OF can boot from the
drive at all...

        Daniel

--
Electric icon culture in twenty frames a second.
Bright confusion controling my emotions.