Re: Boot Loader

On Mon, 2002-04-29 at 12:41, R.Stepanyan wrote:
> Basically I need to install into hda mbr a boot loader which
> 1) is menu driven (don't ask why) - so, not LiLo

Grub ;) (menu mode, with command-line fall-back)

> 2) will work with Win98 installed on hda1 and Linux on hda3 (LiLo is on
> hda3 to boot linux) - I know, win98 writes smth to the boot sector from
> time to time. So, I do not want to reinstall the boot loader each time I
> make an update in Win98.
> 3) supports boot after hybernation in Win
> 4) is relyable  :)

Grub :)

> I used to use NT loader (it was Win2k + Linux on the machines), but now
> is going to downgrade to Win98. The reason is: Windows has to reside on
> its own partition, but be able to boot:
> A. normally, using this boot loader
> B. from VMWare, installed in Linux - that's what win2k failed

VMware doesn't run ON win98... only Linux, NT4 and Win2k/WinXP !!

Apt-get install grub grub-doc

Read the docs and create /boot/grub/menu.lst file :)
Run grub-install /dev/hda

--
Mark Janssen -- maniac(at)maniac.nl -- GnuPG Key Id: 357D2178
Unix / Linux, Open-Source and Internet Consultant @ SyConOS IT