Joining multiple X servers together

[This is the most relevant list I know for this question. If there is a
more appropriate list for it, please let me know]

I use my laptop at home pretty often, and I would like to make use of
the screen realestate on both the laptop and my desktop when at home.

Is there a way of setting up a "proxy" x server, that can "join"
(xinerama-style) multiple X servers together?

So far I make do with x2x (neat!), and have experimented with xmove, but
I would like to treat the two displays as one, i.e.

-  being able to move windows between them, just as you would on an
   xinerama screen.
-  have windows partially on both screens
-  let my window manager believe that I have one big screen

Is there anything like a "soft" xinerama out there?

I suspect that the X servers have to be "compatible", i.e. run the same
visuals and probably have the same fonts available etc, but that
shouldn't be a problem.

--
Karl E. Jørgensen
karl@jorgensen.com