Re: Debian PC Requirements

On Thu, 2002-04-11 at 09:41, Derek Broughton wrote:
> Mark Barnes wrote:
> > I don't think that much swap in a single partition is being fully
> > used.
>
> Nobody, but nobody, needs 1GB for a swap :-)  (somebody will now tell me
> how they DO :-) )

OK, sure... :-)

In early 2.4 kernels the swap was used more like Windows does, so you
needed more swap than for 2.2, or more recent 2.4 kernels.

Aside from that, it is now reasonable to mount /tmp as a tmpfs:

tmpfs   /tmp     tmpfs   size=1G,nr_inodes=1k,mode=1777  0       1

which will use virtual memory for your temp filesystem as well as for
normal use, so you can get much greater use of virtual memory without
having swap storms.

I have nearly 1G swap on my laptop (512M RAM) and frequently find I am
using quite significant amounts of swap in just normal use - here are
the current figures after a few days of activity (144 processes
currently running:

MemTotal:       513412 kB
MemFree:          4448 kB
MemShared:           0 kB
Buffers:         17644 kB
Cached:         291300 kB
SwapCached:      71512 kB
Active:         276448 kB
Inactive:       196992 kB
HighTotal:           0 kB
HighFree:            0 kB
LowTotal:       513412 kB
LowFree:          4448 kB
SwapTotal:      975200 kB
SwapFree:       694744 kB

I have this much swap because that was the size of the partition I had
available for it, but I don't think I would want to shrink it much now.
The memory use of XFree86, Evolution, Mozilla, wine, vmware, win4lin,
Gnome, KDE, PostgreSQL and others can be pretty brutal at times.

As you say, throwing an Oracle install into that mix can blow things
apart.

Cheers,
					Andrew.