Re: Need advice installing Debian on Inspiron 2500

On Fri, Feb 01, 2002 at 12:08:40AM -0500, cyn wrote:
> not flaming or attacking or anything like that - just being cautionary...
>
> No, don't delete that - 10:1 chances are that you have 32mb of ram and
> that's your suspend partition - when you suspend to disk, the contents of
> your ram have to be written... to your disk, and I suspect this is also
> why our friend here has no success with his suspend due to 'broken bios' -
> although it is possible that suspend just doesn't work.

    Thanks for the input, but my system never had such a partition,
and suspend, etc, work fine under the Windows ME that came installed
on it.  AFAIK, Dell does not support Linux on this model.

    Not deleting it may be prudent, though, you are right.

   When I say the BIOS is broken, I mean anything involving APM --
even reading battery status -- causes a kernel OOPS, which when
traced, fails when calling the system BIOS.  Apparently things have
been this way with every BIOS version greater than A06 -- which isn't
available anywhere I could find.

--
Joseph Fannin
jhf@rivenstone.net

"I think I said something eloquent, like 'Fuck.'" -- Rusty Russell