Re: Need advice installing Debian on Inspiron 2500

There doesn't appear to be much info available for this one, but
here are a few notes:

Preben Randhol, 2002-Jan-30 21:52 +0100:
> Hi
>
> I have read about the problems of installing Debian on Inspiron 2500 and
> solved that. Now before installing I wonder about some things I
> haven't found answers to on the net:
>
> 1. I see that the hard disk has a 32Mb partition called Dell Utility
>    Can I safely delete this? What is it?

Check out:
http://docs.us.dell.com/docs/systems/pe2500/en/ug/127kwc20.htm#1033491

I wouldn't be afraid to blow it away...but then I may be a
maniac!  :-)

> 2. How do I make sure that suspend-to-disk will work after installing
>    Linux and then Windows (unfortunately I need to use this too) on the
>    machine. I will repartinate the disc in Linux.

First you need to create the S2D partition.  I believe you can
get a utility from Dell that will create it.  I recall some
discussion on this subject on this list awhile ago, check the
archives.  There may be another utility (phdisk comes to mind but
I'm not sure).

The way I do this, using LILO, is I install Windows first, and
then I install Debian, putting LILO on the first sector of your root
partition (/dev/hda) and mark it bootable.  I configure LILO to be
the boot loader for both OS's and install the Windows boot loader
into MBR by booting to Windows and running "fdisk /mbr".

> 3. Any other things one should make sure to do before starting the
>    installation?

Know the spec's:  video and audio chipsets, mouse spec's, main
board chipset, processor type, etc.

> Thanks in advance for any hints

Hope this helps...jc

--