Fujitsu Lifebook C-4235 and Woody

I'm in the middle of my first attempt to get Debian running on a laptop
and have encountered a few problems. I'm using Gnome, the default
window manager, and Woody.

Problem 1:

When X windows are opened, they are too big to fit on the screen (800x600)
and the top bar, where the window can be grabbed and moved, is off the
screen so I end up with a pile of windows I can't move.

This should be simple, but my knowledge of X goes only far enough to get
it installed on MOST computers.  This one didn't fall into that category.

Problem 2:

The network setup files seem to have changed between potato and woody.
Where can I find docs on this?

I'd appreciate any help I can get so I don't have to install RH (which I
know configures itself properly).

Chip

David R. "Chip" Kent IV
California Institute of Technology