Re: Suspending successfully from X-windows

Oliver Johns <ojohns@metacosmos.org> writes:

[some material deleted below]

> Some notebooks seem to suspend OK from a virtual terminal, but not from
> X-windows.  I had that problem and found a solution.  The setup here is a
> Gateway Solo3350 with a Phoenix NoteBIOS 4.0 release 6.0 (serial 25.04).
> This trick may apply also to other notebooks using that same BIOS.

Well, I tried it on my Gateway Solo 9300 and it appears to work.  My
BIOS is the same 4.0 and release 6.0, but I don't see a serial
number.  At boot time it also says system software version 16.53.  I
don't know if that is relevant or not.  I have only tried suspending X
twice so far, but so far so good.

> #!/bin/sh
>
> XVT=7
> if [ -x fgconsole -a -x chvt ]; then
> [ $(fgconsole) -eq $XVT ] && chvt $XVT
> fi

I am still learning bash scripting, and the above is not clear to me.
To me, it looks like line three is saying "if the current vt is 7 then
switch to vt 7."  This cannot be correct, so what does it really mean?

Also, are there any problems with running fgconsole and chvt suid
root?  Does another group have whatever priviledges are necessary to
do this (or could one be created)?  Could the user and the programs
belong to this other group instead and would this work?  My laptop is
actually never on-line directly (it is only ever behind an IP
masquerading desktop), so maybe these programs running suid root is
not so bad?

Thanks for posting this.  It will be nice not to switch to VT 1--6
prior to closing the lid.

Brian