Re: Wireless Access on Thinkpad T23

On Tue, 2002-01-15 at 22:54, Bryan Daniels wrote:
> I am running Debian 3.0 with kernel 2.4.16 on a
> ThinkPad T23. It has a built-in wireless
> capability--through a "mini-combo" PCI card. (It is
> *not* a PCMCIA card.) The wireless network adapter is
> a "IBM High Rate Wireless LAN MiniPCI Combo Card." It
> is made by Actiontec Electronics, Inc--it appears to
> have a PRISM chipset.
>
> Reading through various wireless websites and
> Wireless-HOWTO, I think that the driver/module for
> this adapter is either "Hermes" or "Orinoco".
> Amazingly, both are available as kernel modules. I
> have succesfully been able to modprobe both, but that
> is as far as I get. I am stuck. I am not sure what to
> do next. Looking throug dmesg, it appears that the
> kernel recognizes the presence of the PCI card, but it
> does not automatically assign it to eth1 like it does
> eth0 with the Ethernet card. Moreover, I am unable to
> use the ifconfig or ifup commands.
>
> Any suggestions would be most helpful.
>
> Bryan Daniels

Bryan,

I recently got a Thinkpad X22. I didn't have the nerve to try the
built-in wireless, so I got one without and got a Linksys PCMCIA card,
also with a Prism chipset. It works great using the linux-wlan driver,
available from http://www.linux-wlan.com/linux-wlan/.

Note that there are two projects there - linux-wlan and linux-wlan-ng
("New Generation?"). You want the "ng" one.

It comes with a fairly good README with build instructions. I recall
seeing instructions for building a PCI driver instead of the PCMCIA one,
but of course I haven't tried it. Good luck.

Tony