Re: Wireless Access on Thinkpad T23

On Wed, 2002-01-16 at 14:54, Bryan Daniels wrote:
> Reading through various wireless websites and
> Wireless-HOWTO, I think that the driver/module for
> this adapter is either "Hermes" or "Orinoco".
> Amazingly, both are available as kernel modules. I
> have succesfully been able to modprobe both, but that
> is as far as I get. I am stuck. I am not sure what to
> do next. Looking throug dmesg, it appears that the
> kernel recognizes the presence of the PCI card, but it
> does not automatically assign it to eth1 like it does
> eth0 with the Ethernet card. Moreover, I am unable to
> use the ifconfig or ifup commands.

I'm no expert but try setting up eth1 in /etc/network/interfaces

    e.g.

    # Wireless
    iface eth1 inet static
            address x.x.x.x
            netmask 255.255.255.0
            gateway x.x.x.x
            name Wireless Adapter

This will allow you to do a ifup/ifdown eth1.

You will also need to make a module alias so that when the interface is
required it will load the module.  Modify /etc/modutils/aliases to
include a line like:

    # Wireless card
    alias eth1 orinoco

The way some of these built in cards seem to go you could get some
interference between various bits of hardware as i have found with my IR
stuff.

Anyway, good luck.

--
* Simon Wong            *