Re: good PCMCIA NICs?

On Mon, 14 Jan 2002, Michael Perry wrote:

Hi,

>> Hey folks,
>> I don't know if this has come up before... sorry if it's a repost... I
>> was wondering if anyone had advice on good PCMCIA NICs.  I'm setting up
>> a cable modem account with a local ISP and I'm not sure what card to
>> pick up...
>>
>> Thanks in advance for any advice on this.
>
> Hi-
>
> I use a 3com 556 (combo nic and modem) with very good results here with
> debian unstable.  I have also used linksys ones I believe with very good
> results.  I like the 3com 556 for all round use.  The only bad part with
> it is the dongle.  I manage to lose about 3 dongles each year traveling or
> whatever.

I have an 3com MegaHertz 589, aka. 3c589. This one is only capable of
10mbps throughput, but doesn't matter when using xterm's and such. Has
worked perfectly. Also, what comes to that original question, if you are
planning to be mobile at home, you could also consider an WLAN-card. I'd
personally go for Lucent. I use it at work, no problems what so ever.

And for the dongle, this has a built-in jack, called xjack. It pops out of
the rear. :--)

If you are sick of losing the dongles, get a nic with that xjack.
You'll have to break the card  apart in order to lose the jack :-)