Re: ESS Technology ES1978 Maestro Problem

[...]

Heather> among other things, /dev/dsp should probably work

As long as you enable OSS emulation in ALSA.  But I think that you get
to choose that when you install some ALSA package.

Oh.  One thing that I forgot to mention in my last post.  If you're
using ALSA 0.9 (i.e. if you're using Woody or Sid) with the Maestro,
you'll need to do some tweaking to get it to work, because they changed
the parameter names for the maestro module in 0.9, but alsaconf still
has the old name.

Let me know if this is the case, and I'll send you some instructions.

red> sorry for my bad english ;)

[...]

Heather> do and be are both passive, they get a boost from the helping
Heather> verb, have, when you put them in past tense.

<blank stare>  Oh.  OK.  I was never terribly good at grammar.  At least
not at remembering the rules.  I seemed to get by fine mostly by my gut
feelings.

Heather> I recommend the slim book by Strunk and White (I think that's
Heather> William Strunk) for learning the finer points of English
Heather> grammar, but it's been my experience, between native speakers
Heather> who don't care about the details and non-native ones who do
Heather> care, that the ones who care are at least understandable.  Most
Heather> grade school grammar teachers would whap me for that long
Heather> sentence even though it's otherwise correct.  So... don't worry
Heather> too much, just make sure to make the point clear, and
Heather> everything will work out fine.

I have that book too.  They gave it to all the Computer Science graduate
students at my University.  (I wonder if they're trying to imply
anything by doing that...)  It's called "The Elements of Style" by
William Strunk Jr. and E. B. White (E. B. White wrote _Charlotte's Web_,
for those who read it as kids).  (Certain grade school grammar teachers
would whap me for using the term "kids".)

I agree with Heather that the important thing is to get your
point across clearly.  But, of course, this is not to say that you
shouldn't bother to learn proper grammar.

And different forums require different levels of grammatical
correctness.  Most mailing lists, etc. are not too strict.  But if you
write a formal report, or something along those lines, you get someone
(or several people) to proofread your work (no matter how good your
English is, because everyone will slip up once in a while).

- --
Hubert Chan <hackerhue@geek.com> - http://www.geocities.com/hubertchan/
PGP/GnuPG key: 1024D/71FDA37F
Fingerprint: 6CC5 822D 2E55 494C 81DD  6F2C 6518 54DF 71FD A37F