Re: ext. desktop hard disk 3.5" for laptop

Quoting Russell Coker on Mon, Jan 07, 2002 at 10:24:08PM +0100:
> On Mon, 7 Jan 2002 16:52, Werner Heuser wrote:
> > laptop. Especially I don't know how to solve the power
> > supply for a 3.5" IDE disk. Since I don't have a desktop,
> > but sometimes have to check hard disks from friends
> > (my disk is just broken, can you check it with Linux?) this
> > is important to me.
>
> The problem is that desktop hard drives may draw more power than a laptop
> (even with plug-pack connected) is capable of supplying.
>
> I have heard that you can buy a housing bay for an IDE drive with it's own
> PSU that connects via USB, although USB limits you to 1.5MB/s.
>
> You can get the same thing for FireWire which is something I've seen working,
> but most laptops seem to lack FW (while they all have USB).
>
> --
It occurred to me that there are also pcmcia hard disk drives which
people have reported using with compaq ipaqs running linux.  I have seen
these up to 5g in size and I think they are type2 pc cards since they
fit in a dual sleeve on an ipaq running familiar linux.  I've used a 1g
IBM microdrive to move files around between my ipaq and laptop a lot.

--
Michael Perry | "Do or do not; there is no try" Master Yoda
mperry@lnxpowered.org | http://www.lnxpowered.org