Re: ext. desktop hard disk 3.5" for laptop

On Mon, 7 Jan 2002 16:52, Werner Heuser wrote:
> laptop. Especially I don't know how to solve the power
> supply for a 3.5" IDE disk. Since I don't have a desktop,
> but sometimes have to check hard disks from friends
> (my disk is just broken, can you check it with Linux?) this
> is important to me.

The problem is that desktop hard drives may draw more power than a laptop
(even with plug-pack connected) is capable of supplying.

I have heard that you can buy a housing bay for an IDE drive with it's own
PSU that connects via USB, although USB limits you to 1.5MB/s.

You can get the same thing for FireWire which is something I've seen working,
but most laptops seem to lack FW (while they all have USB).