pcmcia compiling problems

I'm trying to get my linksys wireless card working on my Dell
Latitude CPi D266XT (running woody). I am using kernel-source-2.2.20.
To start with, the pcmcia_cs source (3.1.22)from woody won't even
compile, so I went to sourceforge for the 3.1.29 pcmcia_cs files. No
problem with those. I also downloaded and compiled the *** prism2_cs
drivers from linux-wlan.com. Also no problem. Installed all, reboot,
and depmod gives me
depmod: *** Unresolved symbols in
/lib/modules/2.2.20/pcmcia/prism2_cs.o
depmod: *** Unresolved symbols in /lib/modules/2.2.20/usb/usbcore.o

"insmod prism2_cs" gives me a whole list of unresolved symbols and
ends with:
/lib/modules/2.2.20/pcmcia/prism2_cs.o: Note: modules without a GPL
compatible license cannot use GPLONLY_ symbols

I don't think that this is a problem with the prism2 drivers because
the same problem exists with usbcore. I have tried a couple different
versions of pcmcia_cs source and had the same problem.

Any suggestions?

Michael