Re-partitioning failing...

I recently bought a vprMatrix laptop and am trying to setup a dual boot
winXP/Debian configuration.

I'm used to using fips to repartition windows drives non-destructively, however
it can't handle the NTFS partition.  So I tried PowerQuests's Partition Magic
to resize the existing partition to make room for Debian.

Running PM8 under WinXP I resized the 30 GB drive to about 8 GB for WinXP and
22 for Debian.  It says it needs to reboot to make the changes.  I let it
reboot.  I see some message from PM come up during the boot up, screen flashes
a few times and windows boots back up.  I run PM8 to check the current state of
the partitions and there is no change.

I tried running PM8 off the bootable CD in dos mode, make the same desired
partition table and hit apply,
I receive an "Volume bitmap wrong size file 6 (128)" error message.

Can anyone offer any advice?
Eric