new kernel, console font large, to left

I run debian woody 3.0 on a old toshiba satellite 335cds.
I just compiled a new kernel and all seems to be well except the text size and
style within console mode (i.e not X). Previously, when i boot i get a
quick flash of text that prints to the far left of the screen, after that
i get another 'quick flash' then all the usuall boot messages but they are
nicely formatted in the center of the screen and have a nicer smaller font.

the new kernel starts with the large font formatted all the way to the left
of the screen and it stays there, even after booting.

I mean all in all this is a minor thing but i don't know how to control/
alter this behavior and i would really like to.

If i boot to the old kernel the text goes back to being well formatted.

lilo.conf has vga=normal, same as before.

TIA

-mUs