Re: network config for a wireless Debian client at home?

At 03:08 2002-12-14, Levi Waldron wrote:
The host computer which is connected to the internet is an windows box, which
is set up to communicate with other boxes in the house with its built-in
internet sharing software.  (I don't know exactly how as I didn't set this
up, but I can find out more if needed)  All I know is the (internal network)
IP address of the host computer and and my client computer.

I believe I have the Raylink wireless PCMCIA card in the client working under
Debian using cardmgr.

How do I do the network config part on the Debian client so it can actually
communicate with the outside world?

I have the same setup at home, but with a dynamic ip of my client computer.
If you use a static IP of your laptop it's even easier.
You need to edit /etc/network/interfaces. There you set up your IP, netmask, gateway etc. The gateway IP should be the same as your host computer.
Try 'man interfaces' for more info.

Second, edit /etc/resolv.conf and add your dns servers.

That should be it.
//I
-
Ivar Alm          ! Where does Microsoft want to drag you today? !
Umeå, Sweden      ! Do you really want to go there?              !
http://www.acc.umu.se/~octo