Re: Set http_proxy on cardctl insert

On Fri, 13 Dec 2002, Russell Coker wrote:

> Masquerading of packets originating at the local machine was a new feature
> added in 2.4.20, so this only works if you are tracking the latest kernels.

According to my iptables man page (which is older than 2.4.20) the DNAT
target should be valid in the OUTPUT chain of the mangle table.
But I only tried to

 DNAT remotely generated packets to a local port (DNAT in PREROUTING) and
 REDIRECT locally generated packets to a local port (REDIRECT in OUTPUT)

on Linux 2.4.17 (works fine) and not

 DNAT locally generated packets to a remote port (DNAT in OUTPUT).

> Also use a reserved private address such as 10.x.x.x.

This is indeed a good idea.

Walter