Re: Problem starting x session on debian kernel 2.4.17 (fwd)

Praveen Kallakuri wrote:
hello,

hi, i'm a newbie, so if i say something wrong i hope someone corrects me.

i newly installed woody on my compaq presario 1720US laptop. everything
went well until i tried to "startx" or login to kde (which is what i am
using). the initialization goes well until after the keyboard and mouse
are initialized. then it crashes!

i have a presario 920EA.
i had the same problem, but gnome was ok. And that's what i use, so...
(now kde is already working fine, i don't know exactly why :^) )

i tried several fixes thanks to a number of people with similar problems.
but none worked. i have used ACPI instead of APM. could there be a
compatibility issue with the graphics card? (because my xfree log throws
out an "APM not found" at the end)

here are some more details:

graphics card: ATI Mobility Radeon M6 LY
kernel: 2.4.17 with ACPI patch of 12/18/2001 (as far as i know, this is
the only acpi patch that works perfectly for my laptop)

xfree version 4.1.0-16

i believe you need X4.2.
In my case i have to use vesa (i see you too), so no 3D accelaration :^(

By the way, something strange happened to me while configuring X4.1.
When i did the woody install, i could choose vesa. But when i did xf86conf it wasn't on the list!! Someone knows why?

instead of writing about everything else, i am including the xfree log,
and my xfree configuration. (i edited the log file to make it smaller,
please let me know if someone needs the whole file.)

help highly appreciated!!
thanks

-praveen

Pedro Jorge