X-terminal on laptop

Hello,

Here's the problem: i want to use my old laptop (486DX, 8Mb RAM, 800
Mb HDD, Fujitsu pcmcia netcard) as X-terminal. First, I tried to make
a boot floppy with 2.4.18 kernel, pcmcia support, network card driver
and nfsroot compiled directly in kernel. But on booting it doesn't up
my network card and writes:"kernel panic. Unable to find root
partition. Append correct root=". I tried to do the same thing with
copying this kernel to hard drive and setting lilo (from the second
partition with RedHat base system) properly as it
written in kernel docs. The same effect. then I tried to install
minimal Debian woody system in order to clean it up and chroot to nfs
root after network starts. After installing kernel and driver modules
I setup networking, everything goes ok but at the last point the
installer writes that my network is configured but cannot be up untill
reboot. I reboot the system, do the same job leaving previous
installation files... the same thing. I go further and try to install
base system from NFS server... installer asks me to setup
networking... and the same thing "network is configure but your card
will be started after reboot". Just the loop. I looked at the 3rd
console: it writes ...modprobe fmvj18x_cs (right module)...ok
./network start eth0 and that's all. Under RedHat 2.4.18 kernel works
fine with this network card.
Could anyone help me with this problem or just to tell me how to make
my old laptop work as X-terminal?

--
Best regards,
 Eduard                          mailto:eduard70@mail.ru