Re: compaq presario 900z IRQ routing troubles with 2.4.x kernels

El jue, 21-11-2002 a las 17:50, Fedor Karpelevitch escribió:

> I tried prebuilt 2.4.19-k7 from unstable and self-built 2.4.19 , 2.4.20-rc2

I haven't tried with a prebuilt kernel, but with a self-built one I've
got no problems (as long as I don't select the "machine check exception"
option, it hangs the system on boot up). Also, remember to select the
ALI15x3 driver for the southbridge chipset.

> and currently I am at 2.4.20-rc2-ac1 all with no success. The behaviour I

2.4.20-rc2-ac1 has some patches regarding the RadeonIGP northbridge
these laptops ship with. I've taken a look at the code and it seems that
the patch just avoids some initialization routines for the ALI15x3
southbridge that where called before, and prints "the radeongigp isn't
supported" (or something like that)... So it's not really adding support
for the ATI U1 chipset, it's just avoiding I-don't-know-what. And, by
the way, 2.4.20-rc2-ac1 hangs my system on boot up. :)

> hda: status timeout: status=0xd0 { Busy }
> hda: drive not ready for command
> ide0: reset timed-out, status=0xd0

I'm not getting these errors. Maybe you didn't include the ALI15x3
support?

> IRQ routing conflict for 00:08.0, have irq 5, want irq 4

PCI 00:08 is the sound card. I'm not getting this error and it's also on
IRQ 5 on my system (and it's there on Windows XP, too). :? Have you
included the kernel PnP support on your self-built kernel?

Anyway there's a IRQ conflict between the sound card and the PCMCIA
controller. They're both on IRQ 5, and somewhat the kernel/drivers don't
get everything right. On your computer, the PCMCIA support doesn't work
and you get these errors:

> PCI: No IRQ known for interrupt pin ? of device 00:0a.0. Please try using
> pci=biosirq
> yenta 00:0a.0: Preassigned resource 0 busy, reconfiguring...
> yenta 00:0a.0: Preassigned resource 1 busy, reconfiguring...
> yenta 00:0a.0: Preassigned resource 2 busy, reconfiguring...
> yenta 00:0a.0: Preassigned resource 3 busy, reconfiguring...
> Yenta IRQ list 0000, PCI irq0

on mine, both controllers share IRQ 5 but while the PCMCIA works fine,
the sound doesn't. Both alsa and oss/free lock my computer.

Interestingly enough, oss/commercial works without problems. :? And on
Windows, both controllers also share IRQ 5 and work.

> spurious 8259A interrupt: IRQ7.

I'm also getting this one from time to time. I don't know what's causing
this error/warning.

> any ideas as to what is happening and how to fix it?

Try to compile your kernel without the "machine check exception" option
and with the ALI15x3 driver and PNP support.

Besides that, I've got almost anything built as a module (USB support,
PCMCIA...) I'm not sure if that helps, but it works for me. :)

> Would it be a good idea to forward this to kernel-dev?

I don't know... maybe yes, we should... As I've said before, there's
some code to deal with the RadeonIGP on 2.4.20-rc2-ac1 (and on the
changelog it's refered to as a "backport", so I suppose it's also
included on 2.5.x). So they know there are problems with the ATI IGP320M
and the ALi southbridge and I assume they know what they're doing, but
their current "fix" (to put it nice :)) isn't working, in fact it has
fscked up the whole thing (at least on my system).

--
 Vicente Aguilar <bisente@bisente.com> | http://www.bisente.com