RE: SAMBA

Coolness, I'll try that, thanks!

- Jay.

~-----Original Message-----
~From: David B Harris [mailto:david@eelf.ddts.net]
~Sent: Wednesday, November 20, 2002 12:58 PM
~To: debian-laptop@lists.debian.org
~Cc: jarias@semex.global.sharp.co.jp
~Subject: Re: SAMBA
~
~(Please respond to debian-laptop@lists.debian.org, not privately :)
~
~On Wed, 20 Nov 2002 09:59:16 -0800
~Jay <jarias@semex.global.sharp.co.jp> wrote:
~> Thanks for replying.
~>
~> It's a Sharp Mebius laptop with a 2.1Gb HD, FAT Windows 98 partition.
~> And Debian Potato Linux on the other.
~>
~> The thing is that the floppy and CD drives are out, and all
~I have is a
~> USB CDRW which I want to use to fix the windows partition
~(system files
~> are messed up, can't load windows), so I can backup what I
~have there.
~>
~> Is this possible? Or will I have to move the HD to a better suited
~> laptop?
~
~Okay, you don't want to use Samba for this. Unless you've compiled the
~kernel yourself and specifically omitted support for it, you can access
~the FAT filesystem natively in Linux:
~
~[ root@willow: ~/ ]# modprobe vfat
~[ root@willow: ~/ ]# mount /dev/hda1 /mnt
~
~Where /dev/hda1 is your FAT partition. It'll be mounted,
~unsurprisingly,
~under /mnt; just use it like you'd use a regular Linux
~filesystem (though
~some things like ownership, file modes, etc., won't work).
~