Re: SAMBA

(Please respond to debian-laptop@lists.debian.org, not privately :)

On Wed, 20 Nov 2002 09:59:16 -0800
Jay <jarias@semex.global.sharp.co.jp> wrote:
> Thanks for replying.
>
> It's a Sharp Mebius laptop with a 2.1Gb HD, FAT Windows 98 partition.
> And Debian Potato Linux on the other.
>
> The thing is that the floppy and CD drives are out, and all I have is a
> USB CDRW which I want to use to fix the windows partition (system files
> are messed up, can't load windows), so I can backup what I have there.
>
> Is this possible? Or will I have to move the HD to a better suited
> laptop?

Okay, you don't want to use Samba for this. Unless you've compiled the
kernel yourself and specifically omitted support for it, you can access
the FAT filesystem natively in Linux:

[ root@willow: ~/ ]# modprobe vfat
[ root@willow: ~/ ]# mount /dev/hda1 /mnt

Where /dev/hda1 is your FAT partition. It'll be mounted, unsurprisingly,
under /mnt; just use it like you'd use a regular Linux filesystem (though
some things like ownership, file modes, etc., won't work).