Re: Which laptop.....

Ron Sinclair wrote:

On Friday 15 November 2002 07:33, Richard Ibbotson wrote:

This month's LJ has a feature written by Heather Mead which starts
with a reference to Toshiba and their insistence that you shall use
M$ products on their laptops.   Heather would like us to have a
look at..

personally I took the hint and put Debian 3.0 into my Toshiba
Libretto.  A friend of mine also installs Linux of any sort into
any Toshiba hardware that he finds :)

When I first started looking for a laptop, I'd asked all my Linux friends what experiences they'd had with laptops and Linux. I got a Toshiba based on the feedback I got, or lack of negative feedback, that is.

I own a Toshiba Satellite 1805-S274 and keep notes on it at http://www.wigglit.com/toshiba_notes.html. There are 2 or 3 other Toshibas of this model listed at http://www.linux-laptop.net. It's interesting that each of those (and my) websites notes particular problems with this model but the problems don't seem consistent between the involved webmasters. I mean, I don't have half the problems that those webmasters have with their Toshibas. APM works without a hitch, and I've no CPU overheating problems (reflashing the BIOS took care of that). Alot of Linux laptop users out there are quick to condemn a brand of notebook because they think they are so Linux-smart that it MUST be a problem with the laptop or the distribution...when usually its a problem with the operator.

It must also be noted that no one considers the feat of being able to carry a full-blown computer around nowadays. Having that much computer power in your bag or backpack while traveling is just amazing, but its become so commonplace that I think people are numb to the wow factor...everything that affects a normal computer is multiplied exponentially with a notebook. There are bound to be problems with certain makes/models, due to design flaws or just plain physics. People are so pampered nowadays that all they want to see are positive results.

I've not tried Debian on this laptop yet, although I've run Libranet 1.9.1 on it. It's currently running Slackware 8.1. I'm sooooo tempted to try a Debian install on it but its running pretty much perfectly at the moment...I'd hate to ruin that serenity. :o)

For Toshibalaptops there is good site to have a look for hardwarecompatibility and what the knowen problem are,installing linux or other os on it:
http://newsletter.toshiba-tro.de/main