Re: woody install on laptop

Thomas_Kroener@mail.sva-germany.com wrote:

Information on boot parameters which might be useful can
be found by pressing F4and F5. If you add any parameters
to the boot command line, be sure to type the boot method
(the default is linux) and a space before the first parameter
(e.g., linux floppy=thinkpad).
Might that be useful?
ciao Thomas
hmmm, i have read the function keys and no, nothing suggested there
worked or rather, what i saw suggested there didnt work.  what id like
to find out is, isnt the root fs during the install suppose to be the
installed
memory??  and if so, how do i explicitly say that for the boot??  ive
never
known this particular failure to happen during installation (and i have a
looooong history of linux install failure).  thats probably not the only
question
i should have, but its the only one im conscious of to articulate.

So where does your installation exactly fail? Already when you try to
boot from your usb floppy?

it fails after the linux.bin has been decompressed and it probes the system
to see what hardware is available.  as the messages fly up down the screen,
it looks (from my familiarity of watching potato boot) that it does identify pretty much everything that i have attached. it seems to complete as it does request that the root.bin floppy be inserted. however, when i do insert the second floppy it is never recognised and that is when i see the message repeated: root fs is
not mounted.

so, i guess, the answer to your question is that it does everything that its supposed to except mount a valid root fs. as a note, i will say that when i did have the potato installlation available (it is now gone), if i said root=/dev/hda1, it would mount that filesystem and finish the boot (although, it would not recognise my network card).

now that i have reinstalled windows to my machine, is there anyway i can boot linux.bin from it and then continue with a network install (as well as re-partitioning the hard drive
usw)??

vielen danken,

milti