Re: Help setting up a Compaq Evo n800v

[USB - not visible at lspci, not visible in the options when hitting F10
       for BIOS stuff during boot up]

>   Yes, as soon as I find out what type it is, I'll compile it in the
> kernel, but while I'm testing it, I compile it as a module.

Okay, consider me stumped.  I have no idea where a system would keep its
USB if not attached to the PCI bus.  (although see the bottom;  I rarely give
up without at least one more spin at the search engines.) If this is a
dual boot, you can check the MSwin Control Panel, and see what it calls
the USB chipset, maybe it even mentions the bridge's chipset manufacturer.

This may lead to something like definite news that we lose (hit the
search engine http://www.google.com/linux  ... no slash on the end ...
with the manufacturer name and USB as your keywoerds), but it would
actually be good to know that :/

> > PCMCIA -
> > 	You have mostly Intel parts, so this is probably the "yenta"
> > 	chipset.
>
> Currently when doing `modprobe yenta_socket` I get an error (just like I
> get with all other pcmcia modules)
. . .
> /lib/modules/2.4.20-rc1/kernel/drivers/pcmcia/yenta_socket.o: insmod yenta_socket failed

Okay, maybe it's not yenta :D  That's ok, it doesn't have to be.  You
could just try each of the socket types in turn?

At this point I would definitely go the route of building a kernel with
*no* pcmcia support whatsover, then building David Hinds' package against
it.  I might even go so far as to grab his from upstream instead of
using the Debian package, though there should be nothing wrong with our
sources except maybe being a wee bit behind.

> > Could you provide lsmod output?
>
>     Yes, it is attached below.
>
> --
> Un saludo
>    Raul Aranda Blasco
>
>    raul.aranda@dragon-lance.net
>    raul.aranda@hispalinux.es

> Module                  Size  Used by    Not tainted
> sr_mod                 11472   0  (autoclean)
> cdrom                  26880   0  (autoclean) [sr_mod]
> input                   3264   0  (autoclean)
> ipt_state                568   4  (autoclean)
> iptable_filter          1668   1  (autoclean)
> ip_tables              10616   2  [ipt_state iptable_filter]
> ip_conntrack_ftp        3760   0  (unused)
> ip_conntrack           16544   2  [ipt_state ip_conntrack_ftp]
> i810_audio             20136   0
> soundcore               3492   2  [i810_audio]
> ac97_codec              9800   0  [i810_audio]
> ide-scsi                7440   0
> scsi_mod               51548   2  [sr_mod ide-scsi]
> ospm_button             3104   0  (unused)
> ospm_system             5812   0  (unused)
> ospm_busmgr            11380   0  [ospm_button ospm_system]
> radeon                 86688   1
> rtc                     5724   0  (autoclean)

Looks like general i810 motherboard parts.  Sound works, I take it.
Using this basis to poke around on the net I find an antique redhat
reference that notes it (6.2) can't support i810's USB, but the BIOS
translation mechanisms cause it to treat mice and keyboards of USB
type as PS/2 devices.  You may have the same ... *cough cough* feature.
If that at least works, let us know :)

However, I find lots of references, including this claimed USB
Compatability List (http://www.sot.com/en/linux/desktop/hcl/usb.shtml)
noting the 1810 would be found with usb-uhci type USB controllers.
When found with descriptions of machines, though, the USB controller
shows up in the lspci listings just fine.  SO I dunno where yours went.

Best of luck, let me know if this helps?

* Heather Stern * star@ many places...
                * Starshine Technical Services -*- 800 938 4078