Re: Help setting up a Compaq Evo n800v

On Mon, Nov 11, 2002 at 07:39:38AM +0100, Raul Aranda Blasco wrote:
> On Mon, 2002-11-11 at 07:11, Raul Aranda Blasco wrote:
> > I'm running a 2.4.20-rc1 kernel, and included below are the X
> > configuration, the kernel configuration and the output of `lspci -v`. If
> > you need more info, please ask for it.
>
>   upsss :-)

The Problems:
USB -
	I see that you have them as modules.  But I don't see a USB
	bridge offered in your lspci output!  Are you sure you have it
	turned on at the BIOS level?

	BTW since youre bridge type is not going to change, once you
	can determine which bridge it is, you can build that in
	directly and it behaves much better.  Or at least that's
	been my experience, on desktops as well as laptops.  I also
	build-in the event input interface, keyboard support, and
	basic USB mouse support; all else that I want are modules.

PCMCIA -
	You have mostly Intel parts, so this is probably the "yenta"
	chipset.

	BTW, you have fairly few modules compiled - having the bridge
	support isn't enough, you also need the modules for gadgets
	you are going to use.

	If Linus' code (which you have turned on) doesn't work, turn
	it *off* ... as if you were building for a mere desktop
	system... then use the pcmcia-source package to fetch David
	Hinds' codebase and try that.

X is odd during startup -
	I notice your Monitor section doesn't list any refresh rates
	at all:
> Section "Device"
> 	Identifier	"ATI Radeon 7500"
> 	Driver		"ati"
> 	BusID		"PCI:1:0:0"
> EndSection
>
> Section "Monitor"
> 	Identifier	"TFT SXGA 15"
> 	Option		"DPMS"
> EndSection

And I do wonder if your DRI module is actually loaded first.  Perhaps
even if it autoloads it's being too slow and by the time you come back
it's settled in?  (Though I can't say for sure.)

Could you provide lsmod output?

* Heather Stern * star@ many places...
		* Starshine Technical Services -*- 800 938 4078