Re: pcmcia autodetect

Ho Chris

Sorry for not getting back to you earlier, but I've been away and
my access to e-mail was limited.

On Mon, Nov 04, 2002 at 02:04:06PM +0100, Chris Vanden Berghe wrote:
> I'm having some trouble with the configuration of my pcmcia network card
> under Debian.  When I load the appropriate driver manually (modprobe
> xircom_cb) and issue a dhcp request (dhclient eth0) everything works
> fine.  I would like the cardmgr to load the xircom_cb module
> automatically when the card is put in the pcmcia slot on my laptop
> (ThinkPad T21), but that doesn't seem to work.
>
> When I put the pcmcia card (IBM EtherJet) into a pcmcia card and
> xircom_cb is not yet loaded, I get a message like this one:
>
> cs: cb_alloc(bus 2): vendor 0x115d device 0x0003
> PCI: Enabling device 02:00.0 (0000 -> 0003)
>
> With the xircom_cb module already loaded, it says the same plus:
>
> PCI: Setting latency timer of device 02:00.0 to 64
> eth0: Xircom cardbus revision 3 at irq 11
>
> How can I tell cardmgr to automatically load the xircom_cb module and
> issue a dhcp request?  I thought the config below should do the trick...
> I tried with both the manfid and the version info of the IBM etherjet
> card.
>
> Hope somebody can help me out...

I just bought a WiFi and couldn't get it to auto detect either.  I
had bought it because support was claimed in the 2.4.17 kernel and it
was recomended by a friend.

I also had problems getting the cardmgr to recoginise the card and
then autoload the driver.  (I still can't figure out who it works).

I would imaging that your running woody and therefore the version
of pcmcia-cs[1] that your using is 3.1.33-6.  Last week when I checked
sourceforge for the latest version 3.2.1 was out.  I download it,
compiled it and then installed it.  I seam to remember that the make
installed installed it stright to the correct place.  Probably best
if you remove the pcmcia-cs package first [note to self must follow
my own advice :-)].

Hope this helps
Steve

[1] http://packages.debian.org/cgi-bin/search_packages.pl?keywords=pcmcia-cs&searchon=names&subword=1&version=all&release=all