double-boot with grub: hibernation / suspend to disk

Hello,
I just bought a Dell Inspiron 5000 and want to install  Win2000 and
Debian-Woody, with GRUB as boot-loader.

I've got no experience with laptops, grub, and also MS, though.
But I am optimistic, thinking unix :-)
Roughly I scheme out to partition from the Woody-Installation-CD's with
cfdisk - it's the only tool i know.  Then go on installing W2, then grub and
Woody. And I would be pleased to have  a real Hibernation-Mode working at
least under MS.

By now, i only know that 'phdisk.exe' creates a hibernation-partition to the
amount of ( RAM + Video-Ram + ~14 ) Megabytes.  But where ?
Possibly at 'the end' of all partitions as the last one ?
So, can I run 'phdisk' after all installations are finished, if I leave
enough free space at the HD's end ?
Or is there a way to build a partition preserved for hibernation by myself  ?

With kind regards

--
Michl.