IBM TP X23: Of Keyboards and IrDA...

	I recently purchased an X23 Thinkpad to replace an aging Thinkpad
240, and have succeed in getting about everything running under
Linux. Though two problems remains that I have been unable to solve.

*) I am using FVWM as a window manager under X, where I have different
applications bound to different key combinations (i.e. Ctrl-Alt-m for
Mozilla). On my TP240 and my desktop system, I have Ctrl-Alt-s bound to
'xterm'. I copied over the same FVWM configuration file to the X23 and
while other key combinations work (such as the one for mozilla),
Ctrl-Alt-s does not work, nothing happens when I press it. If I change the
binding to Ctrl-Alt-z, then an xterm pops up without a problem.

Obvious something is blocking FVWM from receiving the key presses. The
behavior is the same whether the focus is any application or the
background (X root). Both the X23 and the TP240 are running Debian Woody,
and the only difference in software between them is that while the TP240
is running XFree4.1 (Woody), the X23 is running XFree4.2 (testing) to
support its built in Radeon M6 AGP card.

I went looking for key combinations that XFree 4.2 might use, but found
nothing referencing Ctrl-Alt-s. So, does any one have any clue what is
going on here? What is eating some Ctrl-Alt-[a-z] keypresses and not
others, and more importantly, how do I get it to stop?

*) Simplier question, does any one know how to get IrDA to work on this
laptop? I got it up and working with the Debian Woody packages on my TP240
with little more than 'apt-get install irda-utils irda-common'. I am not
really interested in FIR drivers, as SIR would be enough to talk to my
Psion Revo (the primary purpose of getting IrDA working). None of the
drivers included in the 2.4.19 kernel seem to work.

	Thanks in advance for the help. TTYL.

PS. In case anyone is curious, the X23 is an excellent laptop and Debian
Woody + 2.4.19 kernel supported everything out of the box, and with little
trouble, save for IrDA of course, and the video card. But downloading the
XFree4.2 source-deb from testing, building it with './debian/rules
binary', and installing the resulting packages worked like a charm. The
laptop is stable and fast under Linux, and APM works like a dream! :)

|   "For to me to live is Christ, and to die is gain."                    |
|                                            --- Philippians 1:21 (KJV)   |
|   Ryan Kirkpatrick  |  Boulder, Colorado  |  http://www.rkirkpat.net/   |