Re: How to enable sound with Intel AC'97 on Sony VAIO GRX316G?

On Fri, Nov 01, 2002 at 03:26:28PM +0100, Mariano Kamp wrote:
> Bonjour Thomas,
>
>  yes, that seems to be part of the solution. I have been using the ACPI
> patch already, but now I also compiled the oss driver and have been a
> bit more successful than before.
>
>   So the current situation is:
>
>         * Modules are not loaded automatically
>         * but when loaded by hand
>         * xmms does work and outputs that it used OSS
>         * kde sound does not work (when logging in it complains about
>           /dev/dsp permision denied)
>         * gnome is quiet too
>
>   What should I do next?
>
>   What about alsa? I read that alsa is now the way to go, but oss. I
> didn't find a alsa howto nor a package below /usr/doc. Where should I
> look?
>
> Cheers,
> Mariano

Modules added to /etc/modules will load at boot time.

Make sure the user starting kde is in the audio group.

--
Kevin C. Smith           | "Religion is what the common people see as true,
smithkevinc@mchsi.com    | the wise people see as false, and the rulers see