Re: <SOLVED> Re: Can't Reboot to Win98 After Restarting from Woody

On Sat, Oct 26, 2002 at 03:02:53PM +0200, Yuhanes Tjandra wrote:
> This is how I got it works.
>
> It wasn't APM that caused the problem. It was pcmcia service that tried
> to load inapporiate module which was "i82365.o"
> The PC card (Linksys PCMLM56) wasn't working. Adding the module
> "yenta_socket" made the card working, yet there were
> always error messages at bootup complaining inapproriate modules and at
> shutting down module "i82365.o" isn't loaded, can't unload ...
>
> I managed to change the value of PCIC from i82365.o to yenta_socket.o at
> /etc/default/pcmcia and removed the added module.
> It turns to be that now I can boot to Win98 in a warm start happily, :-)

I'm glad you got it fixed :)

> I wondered why the module "i82365.o" is chosen as default config.

Roughly speaking, i82365 is what you need to work with 16-bit PCMCIA cards
only.  To use the 32-bit PC Cards, you need yenta (as you've discovered
empirically ;) ).  I had thought pcmcia was now able to discover
automatically which one you need, making the setting in /etc/default/pcmcia
redundant, but maybe I thought wrong.

Actually, I don't understand it much more than that so I think I'll shut up
now :)

Drew

--
PGP public key available at http://people.debian.org/~dparsons/drewskey.txt
Fingerprint: A110 EAE1 D7D2 8076 5FE0  EC0A B6CE 7041 6412 4E4A