Re: dell inspiron and cpx hardware qualities

mw, 2002-Oct-22 19:48 +0200:
> Hello again.
> One more question is about Dell Laptops.
> According to information from  linux-laptop.net, they are in common ok for
> linux. I watch especially for insprons from 4000  and the cpx-series from 500
> onward, which seem to be 'recent' enough and well supported.
> But there's one report about a cpx 750 which showed many hardware failures.
> Dell changed some pieces ( like HD and mainboard - i don't refer to the
> batterie-callback action ) regarding to warranty.
> However, i look for a used one, so i can't claim warranties...
>
> Is there something well-known about any hardware lacks on dell's, especially
> the cpx-series ?
> And also, is it true that ibm-HD's are suspicious in this way ?
>
> I think it's quite a common task, and i should read up the archives.
> But i'm not very good in recherche, and are supposed to act soon.
> Perhaps someone could provide me at least a good link....
>

> --
> Michl.

Hey Michl,

I've had a cpx 750 J series for 2.5 years now.  It's running woody,
2.4.19 kernel (custom), and it runs very nicely.  I've had the mb
replaced 2 times, once for a keyboard problem where certain keys
stopped working (I'd tweak the case and they would work again) where I
the keyboard was replaced as well; and once for a suspected problem
with the battery contacts (but that was a false alarm).  The HD has
had no problems, but it's load.  I use noflushd to spin it down.
XFree86 4.1 with the ati driver is solid.  USB works perfectly for
mouse and smartmedia reader.  APM works nicely as well.  I usually
suspend it when not in use and when I'm on the road.  I've gone up to
3 months without rebooting and had over 30 days of uptime (the time
not suspended) during that timeframe.  I've gone through a bunch of
batteries, but when I had 2 good 3600mAh batteries I could go 6-8
hours continued usage.  The video isn't the best with only 8Mb of
video memory, don't expect to run gltron in it's full glory.  However,
for production work, it's fine.

I hope this helps,
jc

--