kppp/wvdial freezes my system!

hello all,

having some odd problems here on a toshiba tecra 8000. i've been using kppp
to dial into my ISP for a good few months with no problems. now all of a
sudden it's started freezing my system - once i get to the modem
initialization script the entire system freezes, i can't use the mouse, i
can't switch to another terminal, and ctrl-alt-del doesn't work. i switched
to wvdial and the problem persists though a little more erratically - maybe
40% of the time? i haven't installed any new software recently, and i'm using
the same phoen # and ISP, so i'm a little confused why this is appearing all
of a sudden. i tried using wvdial under gnome and kde with the same problems
in both.

i'm using a linmodem driver for the internal winmodem. i'm not sure what
information is pertinent to this problem but for the record: i have to kill
diald before dialing because it seems to hold on to the modem and not let
pppd use it -- this little workaround has worked fine until now. could it be
a conflict between any of the various internet daemons (wwwoffled, inetd,
etc)?

thanks in advance for any help!

best,
nick