Re: kcore eating my disk space

Thanks Andrew, Olaf and Scott for your quick replys,

The reason I noticed it was because my used disk space jump up to 100% and I started looking for what using it. du in the root directory gave

root@munchkin:/# du -hs *
2.6M    bin
2.9M    boot
4.0k    cdrom
68k     dev
9.4M    etc
4.0k    floppy
7.7G    home
4.0k    initrd
18M     lib
16k     lost+found
4.0k    mnt
du: `proc/580/fd/3': No such file or directory
257M    proc

and ls -las gave me,
262573 -r-------- 1 root root 268349440 Oct 16 08:59 kcore

and *now*

root@munchkin:/# du -hs /proc/
du: `/proc/865/fd/4': No such file or directory
1.0k    /proc
and root@munchkin:/proc# ls -als kcore
  0 -r--------    1 root     root     320598016 Oct 16 10:51 kcore
and my disk space has dropped to it's previous level

So if I trust du, df and ls in the /proc (which i probably shouldn't) directory why did it start using the disk?
or show up as using disk space?

ps: I have 256 M of ram and 320M is around the sum of my ram and the swap space thats being used so I assume it's the combined total of memory that the kernel is using. So I probably don't want to get rid of it do I :) just of my root partition if it was still there or appears in the future when we have our next blue moon.

Dave

Scott Barnes wrote:

On Wed, 16 Oct 2002 09:20:40 +1000