Re: dual head on ATI Radeon Mobility M6 LY

On Thu, 26 Sep 2002, phillim2@comcast.net wrote:

>> So what is happening in Windows is happening in X as well? That is
>> one thing I was wondering about. I hope to attempt to try dual
>> displays in Linux one day soon. I just haven't had the chance. But
>> what about the little random lock ups in X Windows, have you run into
>> those. The seem to be worse in Gnome, but are still there in KDE.
>>

> X is pretty rock solid, those little lock-ups are usually the fault of
> something else. Sawfish is well known for doing just this.

The current Radeon DRI code will lock my machine solid if I run the
xscreensaver OpenGL-based screen savers, eventually. I presume that
running other OpenGL stuff would have the same effect.

With DRI disabled it's rock solid. So, it /could/ be that DRI (if you
use it) is at fault here, especially if you have a different AGP rate
configured in X to what the hardware is using.[1]

           Daniel

Footnotes:
[1]  ...or so I am told. Fixing the mismatch did not help me, but YMMV.

--
Until the pain of remaining the same hurts more than the
pain of change, most people prefer to remain the same.