Re: kernel 2.4.19 and inspiron 2600

From: <ronin2@bellatlantic.net>

> Most distributions now compile filesystem support as modules. An initrd
> image contains those modules; they must be loaded and initialized before
> you can mount the root filesystem.
>
> You have two alternatives:
>  1. Make an initrd image, and configure your boot loader to use it.
>  2. Compile support for the root filesystem into the kernel instead of as
> a module. (This is easier, so it's what I do.)

It really isn't easier if you used make-kpkg to make the kernel - make-kpkg
builds the initrd image for you (though I vaguely recall there was an
initrd.conf setup somewhere, long ago - see mkinitrd).  Of course, if you
don't use make-kpkg, then you're not interested in doing things the easy way
:-)