Re: kernel 2.4.19 and inspiron 2600

Most distributions now compile filesystem support as modules. An initrd
image contains those modules; they must be loaded and initialized before
you can mount the root filesystem.

You have two alternatives:
 1. Make an initrd image, and configure your boot loader to use it.
 2. Compile support for the root filesystem into the kernel instead of as
a module. (This is easier, so it's what I do.)

Kevin