Re: more RAM, swap?

On Sat, 2002-09-21 at 05:24, Petro wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 20, 2002 at 04:45:12PM -0700, Jeff wrote:
> > Benjamin Fritzsche, 2002-Sep-20 22:27 +0200:
> > > On Fri, 2002-09-20 at 15:11, Luis Castillo wrote:
> > I 2nd that.  My laptop has 256MB and I reduced the swap to 128MB from
> > My Desktop has 256MB with 512MB swap which I'll be reducing soon to
> > 128MB or less since I never see it use more that 50-60MB.
>
>     Actually, as cheap as disk is these days, I'd leave it alone for the
>     following reasons:
>
>     (1) It's cheap insurance against a runaway process.
>     (2) You stand a greater chance of messing something up by making the
>         the change than you do if you just leave it alone, which is
>         kinda the same thing as saying:
>     (3) Never f*** with a working system unless you have to.

theres definitely lots of truth in that !! (never touvh a running system
;-))

And I just increased my swapspace because I´ve just rebuild my kernel
with swsusp and that needs the room if you suspend while a few things
are running (or sleeping to talk in processes). tred it before and it
worked perfectly then.

greets benny